Last night on #MoChat we talked about the business side of freelance. Some good questions were raised, as well as good tips:
- Be weary of clients asking for pitches. If it’s necessary, put in the minimal amount of time you’re comfortable losing.
- If moonlighting, make sure clients are completely clear about your schedule ahead of time.
- Save up cash, especially when starting out. Paychecks are sporadic.
- Work out payment schedules with clients. If they’re late, find out why and react accordingly.
- Set aside some percentage of your paychecks for quarterly estimated taxes.
- Insurance is expensive, but there’s some major changes coming with the Affordable Care Act.
- Check the Freelancers Union.
- Accountants can be a huge help. As can lawyers, but maybe less frequently.
- Prioritize. You don’t need to be working 24/7.