This week’s MoChat on how we would improve After Effects was popular. All-in-all, there were over 400 tweets (including RTs) in the chat. Both Todd Kopriva (Product Manager – Pro Video) and Steve Forde (Product Manager – After Effects) were able to join us. There were a lot of suggestions thrown around.
The suggestions in rough order of how important they seemed to people by tally count:
- More clear Memory/Multi-Processing settings
- Xpresso-like controls for Expressions
- Improvements to interacting with Shape Layers (separate panel for settings, etc.)
- Improvements to curves/graph editor
- Node-based FX (probably not going to happen any time soon, but maybe Instances of FX?)
- Better 3D navigation/visual guides (grids, etc)
- Better OpenEXR support
There were numerous other requests, but too many to list here. A few links were passed around to address some of the requests in the mean time. Using Zorro to better manage layers, searching for parameters to drill down to shape controls, the 3D Widgets script for help in 3D space, the Duplicate with Connections script for pseudo-effect instances, ProEXR for better OpenEXR support, and tricking AE to use the GPU in background rendering (at your own risk, of course).
Now, the transcript. We’ve made a couple changes to the usual format. First, straight RTs have been removed. Second, the transcript is (or should be) inside a scrollable view so the page isn’t enormous. And lastly, we added a link directly to each tweet in the date/time text to better see it in context. Let us know if this works better for you or any ideas you have for improvements to or future topics for MoChat.